I am running Apache 2.0.59 on a mix of servers. (Linux
/ Solaris, AIX).

How come, when I make a plain HTTP request to an SSL
Enabled port, the Solaris instances immediately close
the connection.

telnet www.abc.com 443
Trying...
Connected to www.abc.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0
Connection closed.

While the Apache instances on AIX return a 400 Bad
Request message, but WITHOUT a HTTP header:

telnet www.abc.com 443
Trying...
Connected to www.abc.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0
<title>400 Bad Request</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Bad Request</h1>
not understand.<br />
Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled
server port.<br />
Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL,
please.<br />
Connection closed.

The configuration appears to be the same between the
AIX and Solaris machines. I am puzzled!