A 'bit' late reply:

By preprocessor I was talking about a script generating the include files. Practically the same as you do. I have config files for the script and a main template I edit when something changes. Then run the script and restart apache. :)

Antoine Prevosto wrote:
May be you could also share common configuration files between your load-balanced servers, and "Include" configuration files whit directives specific to each one.

That is the way I work with my servers, so maintenance is kept easy (no preprocessor, no envvar).

Brgds
Antoine.

2006/4/6, Bgs <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>:

    Just for the records: I had to choose the preprocessor version.

    Bgs wrote:
     >>> <VirtualHost %IP>
     >>>  ServerName domain.com <http://domain.com>
     >>>  ServerAlias www.domain.com <http://www.domain.com>
    web%NUM.domain.com
     >>> </VirtualHost>
     >>>
     >>> I hope this clarifies. I will skim through the addon link you
    sent me
     >>> though.
     >>

     >> If I were to do this, I would use a simple config pre-processor to
     >> substitute out the variables.  That is a robust, simple, and
     >> easy-to-impliment solution.
     >>
     >> I believe that you can actually use env-variables in httpd.conf
    using
     >> something like ${env-variable}; but this is undocumented and perhaps
     >> fragile.
     >

     > That would make sense. Or using some apache internal variable
    would suit
     > as well. In my case there are only two distinct variables for
    each site,
     > that should be used in VirtualHost, ServerAlias and sometimes in the
     > logs definitions.
     >
     > I'd like to keep config preprocessors as a last resort solution...
     >

     > Bye
     > Bgs

    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
       "   from the digest: [EMAIL PROTECTED]