I did that prior to the grep on Options and then
copied all the included configuration files in the
same directory, followed by the "grep 'Options' *".

I have 2 more servers that have the exact same
configuration settings (other than the directives for
the servername etc), which work properly too. It is
just this one server that does not work.

You could make the argument that this particular
instance *does* work as designed since neither of the
+FollowSymLinks or +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch are set ...
but that doen't explain why mod_rewrite works on the
other servers with -FollowSymLinks set.

All instances are running on Solaris 9 ... it just
doesn't make any sense.