There is another issue that shows up with the
Microsoft codepage charsets. It is actually the "Smart
Quotes" in the software. These characters are mapped
to empty charset locations causing them to display as
'?' when encountered in a website.

I found this out while reading an Article on
Techrepublic. They edited for formatting with MS Word
and have smart quotes enabled [ MS default setting ]
so the published article and associated wiki content
was sprinkled with the ? instead of the apostrophe or
quotation mark used.
[ I am the author of the article I noticed this on, it
had been submitted with iso-8859-1 charset ]

If you notice this type of occurence then this may be
the cause.

Jaqui