From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Joshua Slive
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 10:50 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Apache 2.2.3 Memory Usage

On 11/20/06, Strader, William A. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Not sure if this is the right place to be asking but I thought I would
> try.
>
> OK I am running Fedora Core 6 with Apache 2.2.3 (installed via yum).
> The server has 1.5gb RAM on a Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz (2666
> MHz).  What I am running into is I am getting like 12 or more httpd
> processes running. Each processing using approximately 120mb RAM.  I
> am running the system with prefork.c and here is the configu statement
> I have for it:
>
> <IfModule prefork.c>
> StartServers       2
> MinSpareServers    3
> MaxSpareServers   10
> ServerLimit      256
> MaxClients       256
> MaxRequestsPerChild  4000
> </IfModule>
>
> I also have this line in my config:
>
> MaxMemFree 30720
>
> Now can anyone know me why I have so many httpd processes running at a
> given time and why is each process using such a large amount of RAM.
>
> The number of sites I am running on the server is 7 domains and 4 sub
> domains so a total of 11 sites.  Any advice you can give me in helping
> me possible reduce the amount of ram the system is using would greatly
> be appricated.

12 httpd processes does not seem at all unusual, given that you allow up to
10 spare (inactive) processes, plus the parent (control) process and perhaps
a piped-logger or something like that.

What is unusual here is memory requirements of 120MB per process. This is at
least 10 times what you would expect in a standard install.  It implies that
you are running some modules (mod_perl or similar) that are gobbling up tons
of RAM.  You should isolate which module is doing that and see if you can
fix it.

Joshua.