Hi again, sorry for the late reply.

I just tried disabling KeepAlive, but it did not help much.

I'm still experiencing windows/firefox clients sending FIN+ACK to close
connection mid-download if it receives Content-Type: text/html when it
expects and Accept: image/png;*. This is followed by the server
sending TCP retransmissions. The client sends (only) ONE RST+ACK,
probably to tell the server "no, really, this connection is closed",
which for some reason is ignored by the server. Further TCP
retramissions occur from the server for a while until the server gives
up and finalizes with a RST+ACK sent to the client.

This only happens on a few Windows XP SP2 laptops with firewall enabled.
I've tried reproducing on other Windows XP SP2 installations, with and
without VMWare, as well as various other Linux clients. Even on the
affected machines, whether this happens is hit-or-miss. I'm also getting
reports that disabling the Windows Firewall on the client greatly
reduces the probability of these kinds of hangs, but does not completely
eliminate them.

- Frode