Hi all,
 I'm using mod_proxy and I am having some issues.  I have several VMWare
images that will be used for development and testing, I want the instance to
be served via a single Apache server.  I can then just display a nice error
that we're currently maintaining a system when we bring it down.  I'm
putting each virtual host in it's own .conf file in the conf.d directory.  A
.conf file looks like this.

LoadModule proxy_module mod_proxy.so
LoadModule proxy_http_module mod_proxy_http.so

# Put this with your other VirtualHosts, or at the bottom of the file
<VirtualHost *>
   ServerName gforge.mydomain.com

   ProxyRequests Off
   ProxyPreserveHost On

   <Proxy *>
       Order deny,allow
       Allow from all
   </Proxy>

   ProxyPass / http://192.168.221.101/
   ProxyPassReverse / http://192.168.221.101/

   <Location />
       Order allow,deny
       Allow from all
   </Location>

</VirtualHost>

Now, I am having a problem, and have a question.  First if all of the
servers I am connecting to via the proxy server are not running, all of the
virtual hosts that I'm proxying fail with the following error message for
every back end server that's not running.  This seems to cause all proxying
to fail.

[Fri Nov 24 14:07:26 2006] [error] (113)No route to host: proxy: HTTP:
attempt to connect to 192.168.221.102:80 (192.168.221.102) failed

How can I set up the virtual host proxy to not cause an error if it cannot
connect to the back end server?  Second, how can I set up a default "the
server is under maintenance" page with the host name in it?  Where would I
find this documentation?  I've been digging though Apache's site and
Google's returned examples, but I can't seem to find anything that gives me
a concrete example.

Thanks,
Todd