At 09:35 PM 12/6/2006, you wrote:
You replaced your installed version of OpenSSL, or are trying to start
the wrong copy of httpd.  You might want to do some searching for
multiple occurances of the httpd binary.

The fact that SSLEngine isn't recognized indicates a pre-0.9.7 version
of OpenSSL, or a different build of httpd.

Reinstalled Openssl,

now when I run httpd -DSSL -k start, I get

httpd: Could not open configuration file ssl/conf/httpd.conf: No such file or directory

If I specify the directory, I get:
# /Library/Apache2/bin/httpd -DSSL -k start
Syntax error on line 38 of /Library/Apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'SSLEngine', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration.