Evan,

On Dec 6, 2006, at 10:11 PM, Evan Platt wrote:

now when I run httpd -DSSL -k start, I get

httpd: Could not open configuration file ssl/conf/httpd.conf: No such file or directory

That'll run the first httpd found in your PATH. On a plain vanilla MacOSX installation, that is the httpd 1.3.33 that Apple supplies. However, you must have something else there since 1.3.33 doesn't recognize the -k flag.

If I specify the directory, I get:
# /Library/Apache2/bin/httpd -DSSL -k start
Syntax error on line 38 of /Library/Apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'SSLEngine', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration.

When you run /Library/Apache2/bin/httpd -l, is mod_ssl.c in the list? If not, is there a mod_ssl.so in the modules subdirectory? Do you have a LoadModule line for that?

What do you get when you run /Library/Apache2/bin/httpd -V ? Feel free to paste us the output. How about otool -L /Library/Apache2/bin/ httpd ? And otool -L /Library/Apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so (if you have it)? I to my dismay realize that I'm linking against a libssl and libcrypto that Fink plonked into /sw/lib, and would like to know HtH that got in my link path... Some autoconf-fu must prefer /sw over / usr or something.

S.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            http://www.temme.net/sander/