Lowe, Grant wrote:
Hi All.

I'm getting the error:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /mrtg on this server.

I have searched through Google and looked at various web pages and
numerous USENET news groups.  I have checked the permissions on the mrtg
and apache directories and files in question.  I have tried different
browsers.  I have also looked through the FAQ, specifically, under
Configuration, question 15 (Why do I get "Forbidden/You don't have
permission to access / on this server" message whenever I try to access
my server).  I have tried connecting from different computers.  Still
the same result.  I'm running Apache 2.0.52 on a CentOS server.  Any
ideas?

Howdy from an hour north of you!

No worries-- had the same problem here when I set up Mailscanner-MRTG.

Here's the relevant info from my httpd.conf:

# If you wish httpd to run as a different user or group, you must run
# httpd as root initially and it will switch.
#
# User/Group: The name (or #number) of the user/group to run httpd as.
# It is usually good practice to create a dedicated user and group for
# running httpd, as with most system services.
#
User www
Group www

#
# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
#
DocumentRoot "/usr/local/www/data"

Under /usr/local/www I have two directories, data and mailscanner-mrtg. In data I put a symlink:

/usr/local/www/data
bangor# ls -al
total 4
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Nov 14 13:49 .
drwxr-xr-x  5 root  wheel  512 Jan 15 10:17 ..
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 32 Nov 14 13:49 mrtg -> /usr/local/www/mailscanner-mrtg/

Obviously I had the option followsymlinks turned on in my httpd.conf as well.
That help anything?

--
Jay Chandler
Network Administrator, Chapman University