Hi everyone, I've got a little problem here which I'm curious if
someone can tell me if its normal or not.

        I recently upgraded our servers here from 2.0.49 to 2.2.4.  We have a
couple of rewrite rules which use to work fine:

        RewriteEngine on
        Rewriterule     ^/faq/(.*)
http://web.csse.uwa.edu.au/school_and_systems_information/faq  [L,R=permanent]

        That stopped working under 2.2.4, but I've discovered if I create an
empty directory called "faq" in the relevent location, then it works ok.
Without the directory I get a "File does not exist: /path/faq" in the error log.

        So it seems to me some part of Apache is checking to see if the path
exists before applying the rule, which means I'd have to have a bundle of empty
directories to get my re-write working, which sort of defeats the purpose.

        Anyone have any suggestions?  I've been trying my voodoo skills with
rewrites, but I think its more mumbo-jumbo than voodoo.

        Cheers,
                Ryan.

--
          Ryan McConigley - Systems Administrator                  _.-,
     Computer Science   University of Western Australia        .--'  '-._