I have workarounded the situation by reconfiguring all 3 thousand
domains to share the same log files, and use the split log scriot
which comes with apache under support/ directory, as a guy has
recomended me on freebsd list.

However, I feel that sooner or later I will find out the same
limitations again. And when I get close to 7 thousand domains I will
certainly start having the same problems. So I need to know how to
deal with this, because CPU and memory are resources that I will not
starve soon.

I have raised max files per proc and kernel maxfiles to unbelieveble
values. This is the way to deal with this lind of limits in FreeBSD.
However it did not help, so I think there may be some other kind of
resource I am not raising.

BTW I could out I can use EXTRA_FLAGS as argumento to make, make
EXTRA_FLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=8192 resulted in FD_SETSIZE=8192 getting
passed to Apache on every compilation line.

But it did not help minimizing the problem. So, yeah, maybe this
FD_SETSIZE thing is only for apache before 2x.

Anyway this is a problem I think people will always have when they run
some number of VirtualHosts. I dont think I am the only one here who
have thounsands domains in a single Apache enviroment.

BTW I have found this same limitation earlier with recent Linux
kernel, but it was a 800 domains limitation. I had raised the
appropriated values as suggested in a number of readings (including
Apache2 documentation) and I got no solution. So I switched to
FreeBSD, and only by setting maxusers kernel parameter accordingly I
was able to have 2.8k domains. Now I found the same limitation again.
But this time I doubt I can switch to anything else. I am sure this is
something that need to be tunned up now and probably could have been
tunned up earlier on Linux.

So I need to understand what kind of resources Apache may starve, up
to the point it stops responding or simply dies with error code 11. I
am sure it is a resource thing because when I removed all that many
log files, things started to work again, perfectly, and in fact with
better performance.

However, it is a resource problem which I havent fix, because I dont
understand correctly what else, other than fd's Apache needs, so I can
raise it.

While I have free memory and free CPU cicles I intend to keep adding
VH's to apache. So I need to learn to surpass this software limits.

Hope people here in this list can help me.

On 5/3/07, Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 5/2/07, Eduardo Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Apache2, how do I set FD_SETSIZE? I have found some virtual hosts
> limitations and FAQ and documentation tells I should define FD_SETSIZE
> in EXTRA_CFLAGS, but where EXTRA_CFLAGS go?

I don't remember for sure, but I don't think that FD_SETSIZE has any
effect in 2.x. You just need to make sure that your OS has allocated
the necessary file descriptors to apache before you start.

Joshua.