Hey Sam,

Just to check: are you running Apache 2.2 only from the binary, w/o any PHP/ modperl addons?
Ummm, actually Win32 Apache 2.2 is *VERY* stable, my current server is running on an XP home box (so shoot me) and has been up over six months! I have never seen anything such as that exit status, perhaps you should try to chase that down?