On 06/06/07, S.A. Birl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Im pretty sure Ive read this in the 2.2 docs (scratches head):

Here perhaps? http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#satisfy

A way to protect a directory so that if I access the directory, say
from 192.168.0.1, Im allowed in WITHOUT a username/password, but any
other IP would prompt for a username/password.

Try:

<Location />
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Secure Bits"
AuthUserFile /some/path
Require valid-user
Order allow,deny
Allow from 1.2.3.4
Satisfy Any
</Location>

Im looking for .conf configuration, not a .htaccess configuration.
But if it comes down to it I'll use .htaccess.

This indicates a misconception about htaccess. Anything that can be
done in a htaccess file can be done better (quicker, easier to manage)
in the main config file. Also, despite the name, htaccess files are
not meant just for access control. This article explains it better
than I can:

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/08/01/apache_undead/

--
noodl