Hi All,

I am running OpenBSD and their default install of apache (BSD patched version 1.3.29) behind a nat. I want to use ip based virtual hosts on the main web server so that I can run multiple ssl sites with a diff. certificate for each. Since i'm behind a nat, the outside world obviously can't see my individual ips for the virtuals hosts. Can I use another box running apache with mod_proxy to reverse proxy the https requests to the correct virtual host/ip? I thought that i read somewhere that this wouldn't work because the request is encrypted, thus no way to get the servername out of the request without decrypting it, but then i saw a post from back in jan. it was said that this is possible using mod_proxy and mod_proxy_connect (so that the proxying machine doesn't do any handling of the certificates) for one host running https. Would this also work for multiple hosts like I need? Will this work for the 1.x version of Apache that i'm using? Would simply using mod_proxy with the AllowCONNECT directive work?

I do read the docs, and search the archives (google too), but i can't find exactly what i'm looking for, so if anyone does know a positive answer to this, a very brief example would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron