Aaron Smith wrote:

So I’m having a devil of a time getting Apache 2.0.55 compiled on an HP-UX 11.11 system to support secure LDAP authentication to our Active Directory servers. I configure it like so:

./configure --prefix=/opt/apache2 --enable-auth-dbm=shared --enable-expires=shared --enable-headers=shared --enable-rewrite=shared --enable-mime-magic=shared --enable-info=shared --enable-status=shared --enable-userdir=shared --enable-http --enable-so --enable-ssl=static --with-ssl=/opt/openssl098 --with-perl=/opt/perl58 --with-ndbm --enable-ldap=shared --enable-auth_ldap --with-ldap=/usr/local/OpenLDAP.2.3

The configure runs fine, but when I try to run ‘make’ I get:

libtool: link: warning: this platform does not like uninstalled shared libraries

libtool: link: `httpd' will be relinked during installation

/usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:

util_ldap_connection_close (first referenced in modules/experimental/.libs/mod_auth_ldap.a(mod_auth_ldap.o)) (code)

util_ldap_cache_comparedn (first referenced in modules/experimental/.libs/mod_auth_ldap.a(mod_auth_ldap.o)) (code)

util_ldap_cache_checkuserid (first referenced in modules/experimental/.libs/mod_auth_ldap.a(mod_auth_ldap.o)) (code)

util_ldap_connection_find (first referenced in modules/experimental/.libs/mod_auth_ldap.a(mod_auth_ldap.o)) (code)

util_ldap_cache_compare (first referenced in modules/experimental/.libs/mod_auth_ldap.a(mod_auth_ldap.o)) (code)

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I’m also wondering if I’m even headed towards what I need. At one point, I got this to compile (this will teach me not to take notes) and the LDAP authentication worked, but the SSL portion did not. When the module loaded, it would say that SSL support was unavailable. I seem to recall reading in the docs that I need to compile with the netscape version of LDAP in order to support SSL, but other sites seem to indicate that’s not the case.

I have been having my own problems with related modules. It will probably help your case to use OpenLDAP for its libraries; there's a config option to only build client libs and binaries.
Add the --with-ldap-sdk=openldap might be missing.

Brian