Hi,

I have a very strange problem and I cannot even determine the reason.

First configuration:  virgin instalation of Debian Etch with:

-Apache 1.3.34 with modules: mod_so, mod_macro, config_log_module,
  mime_magic_module, mime_module, negotiation_module, status_module,
  aotoindex_module, dir_module, cgi_module, userdir_module, alias_module,
  rewrite_module, access_module, auth_module, expires_module, setenvinf_module,
  perl_module, php4_module, gzip_module, python_module.

-PHP 4.4.4-8-ecth4

-Mysql 5.0.32

-other Debian etch packages.

PC: P4 with 512 MB. Kernel 2.6.18 from distro.

Ewerything works correctly except apache.

Its configured almost like basic-install configuration ( /var/www directory
etc. )

After startup apache starts for about 1 minute. It uses then about 100% of CPU.
Then everything looks and works OK. First use of server also takes about 30
seconds
also with 100% cpu usage. Then it runs properly. I use phpsysinfo page and some
simple php scripts to insert data for exim ( exim+mysql ) for e-mail boxes.
After about 1 hour, maybe less when You want to refresh a php page ( this
phpsysinfo )
apache runs also with 100% of CPU, waits about 1 minute and returns blank page.
No error info on the browser, no error on the apache logs. Just nothing.
Restart of apache ( apachectl restart ) helps for about 1 hour.
What I did:
- tested apache-ssl from this distribution - the same result - blank page - no
error.
- tested php5 ( was before - i downgraded to 4 ) - the same result - blank page
- no error.
- added of course hostname to /etc/hosts ( apache works curently in my lan - no
routing
  is needed, but it has of course internet connection).
- i tested it without some modules but there is no change.
- i declared a virtual host for 1 IP - no change.
- I GUESSED: it's probably the problem of PHP because the static pages ( pure
html )
   works fine. I mean they work even if phpsysinfo returns nothing (
   blank page )  Also perl works fine all the time ( sqwebmail - perl
e-mail<->www ),
   but written in php in one line transfer:
   <?  header("location:/cgi-bin/sqwebmail"); ?>
   does not work - blank page - no error. Of course when I type
/cgi-bin/sqwebmail
   in web browser - it runs properly ( as it's perl .... ) like static
   html.

Where to find, where to look, I cron-restart server every hour - but it's not a
solution.
If You want any info more - pls ask.

.... it's not my first apache server, even not a 10-th so I'm really crashed....
.... I'm familiar with httpd.conf......

please ... help....

--
Pozdrawiam