Sorry, I'm only familiar with what happens on the linux side of things.
What happens on Windows may be different, but if it helps, mod_php will
cause apache processes to segmentation fault after a random amount of load
(usually after 2-3 days).  At this point, anything that apache sends off to
php will segfault, but apache will continue to serve other file types (html,
images, css, js, etc) without a problem.  Apache itself doesn't crash.  A
graceful restart of the apache master process fixes the problem (for another
2-3 days).

fcgid should prevent apache from segfaulting in the first place, so you
would not need to worry about being able to gracefully recover.

Hope that helps.

--Victor

--
http://www.victortrac.com