Neville Hillyer wrote:
I am not a DNS expert but I suspect many DNSs have to explicitly list each sub-hostname however it is clear from http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4592.txt that there is no reason why a DNS cannot be set to eg:
*.hostname.com
Can anybody say if DNSs operated by ISPs normally default to this? Clearly it would save much unnecessary work with minimal additional security issues.
Just give it a try.

if
ping abc.com
and
ping blog.abc.com
results in the same ip address, you have a wildcard domain (*.abc.com).

--
kiu