At 7:35 pm +0800 21/8/07, solidzh wrote:
2007/8/21, Kranti K K Parisa [GetSet-India] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
 Hi,

 I recently started working on Apache.
 I want to configure a sub domain

 for example i have the domain registered on my name as  www.abc.com
 can i configure a subdomain like blogs.abc.com?

Yes Apache can do it easily.You need a name-based virtual host.Given
your apache is 2.0 version,you could see this document:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/name-based.html

An interesting well written page but note the following quote from it:

"Of course, you can't just make up names and place them in ServerName or ServerAlias. You must first have your DNS server properly configured to map those names to an IP address associated with your server."

I am not a DNS expert but I suspect many DNSs have to explicitly list each sub-hostname however it is clear from http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4592.txt that there is no reason why a DNS cannot be set to eg:
*.hostname.com
Can anybody say if DNSs operated by ISPs normally default to this? Clearly it would save much unnecessary work with minimal additional security issues.

Neville