On 8/30/07, Eric Gorr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am also assuming that if I install Apache2, I would no longer be
> able to use the Sharing panel to turn the server on/off and would
> need to do so from the command line.
>
> I can't imagine this is terribly difficult...I just don't know the
> answer.

Tiger uses launchd to manage services.  I wonder if you could tweak
the OS X apache launchd configuration so that you could continue to
use the sharing panel?

Otherwise it isn't too hard to add new items to launchd.

This is a recipe for configuring continuum, but you could easily adapt
it for Apache-2.2
http://maven.apache.org/continuum/guides/mini/guide-osx-boot.html

Also, there is a GUI for launchd:
http://lingon.sourceforge.net/