Vincent Bray wrote:
On 01/09/07, Malcolm Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Yes you are correct and I am very grateful for your reply but I find I
am out of my depth.  I had read (several times both before my post and
after your reply) the article on configuring Virtual Hosts and I remain
unaware of how to amend the file at conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf to suit
local access only.  As to the <Directory blocks I take your point but I
cannot determine which of the directives to use.

My sole aim was in using Apache for testing to add the display of
includes.  As I have been struggling with a problem that I never
expected for over a week it's time I gave it a rest.

My general comment on all the Apache help articles both on-line and in
the manual is that they clearly state what to do but not how to do it.
There is a presumption of knowledge that I do not have.  I bought my
first computer at the age of 62 on the basis I would catch up -
eventually.  Thirteen years later it seems I am even further behind than
I was then!
Please forgive the jibe, but it's perhaps suitable that you're trying
to configure server side includes.. A technology nearly as old as
yourself :-)
Your jibe is forgiven. {8;-))  But just because the technology is old
doesn't mean it isn't any use.  I assume there are `better' and newer
ways of achieving the same object.  Perhaps PHP is more appropriate?
Explaining how vhosts work is a time consuming process, and I think
the docs would do a better job, so instead, let's try a direct answer.
Stick this at the bottom of your httpd.conf and see what happens.

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
 ServerName localhost
 DocumentRoot F:/webs/mcjdreamweaver
 <DIrectory F:/webs/mcjdreamweaver>
  Options Includes Indexes
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
  AddOutputFilter INCLUDES;DEFLATE shtml
 </Directory>
</VirtualHost>
I did `stick' the lines you kindly provided into the httpd.conf file and
the mcjdreamweaver site is displayed in my browsers with the URL:
http://localhost.  So thank you for that step forward.
For bonus points, you could edit your hosts file (windows hides it
somewhere like c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) so you've got a
proper name to use rather than localhost, then repeat that name in
ServerName.
By edit do you mean delete 127.0.0.1 localhost and add (say) 127.0.0.1 mcjlocalhost?

Good luck!
I need more than good luck - nourishment not punishment!  And thank you
for your assistance.

Malcolm