We have a production apache v2.2.3 server runing on solaris 10 that is
generating the following error message

[Fri Sep 14 13:10:02 2007] [notice] seg fault or similar nasty error
detected in the parent process

And I would like to get some suggestions as to where we should begin
looking for the problem.

The server is being restarted by an external processs which accesses a test
URL and then restarts the webserver if it fails but from the timings I'm
not 100% sure if this error message is put in the log file when the server
crashes or when it is restarted.

Searches on google suggest this error message has been seen on shuting down
php enabled webservers (this server does not have mod_php installed).

Some details:

1) Apache is running on solaris 10 but was compiled on solaris 9 due to the
fact we have several custom modules loaded which have only been tested as
compiling on solaris 9

2) The error message has appeared several times and there is no apparent
pattern to when it occurs

3) Turning on debug logging on the production server is not really an
option as the log files would be huge (current log level is info)

Regards,

Sean Timmins

---
Sean Timmins
Systems Administrator
Web Publishing Systems
John Wiley & Sons Ltd.

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and confidential and intended solely
for the named recipient(s).  If you are not a named recipient,
you must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information,
open any attachment, or take any action in reliance on it.  If you
have received the e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete
the e-mail.

Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
individual sender, unless otherwise stated.  Although this e-mail has
been scanned for viruses you should rely on your own virus check, as
the sender accepts no liability for any damage arising out of any bug
or virus infection.

John Wiley & Sons Limited is a private limited company registered in
England with registered number 641132.

Registered office address: The Atrium, Southern Gate, Chichester,
West Sussex, PO19 8SQ.