I have pretty much a plain-vanilla httpd configuration that came with Fedora
Core 3 ("Apache/2.0.53 (Fedora) Server").
No extra modules, and the only "special" module I use is mod_rewrite to link in
tomcat, because I always had problems getting
mod_jk[2] to work, for whatever reason.

My httpd.conf has:

NameVirtualHost *:80
NameVirtualHost *:443

Then I have a _default_.domains.conf in conf.d like this:

<VirtualHost _default_:80>
        Options FollowSymLinks
        DocumentRoot /var/www/html
        ErrorLog logs/default-error_log
        CustomLog logs/default-access_log combined
</VirtualHost>

In addition, I have different files (one per domain) in the conf.d directory
that have this pattern:
<VirtualHost 192.168.101.48:443 >
        DocumentRoot .....
        ServerName .....
        ServerAlias .....
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:80 >
        DocumentRoot .....
        ServerName .....
        ServerAlias .....
</VirtualHost>

Each of these files have a different IP in the https VirtualHost directive for
obvious reasons.
Some of them do not have ServerAlias directives.

I used to have configurations on other servers where a "service httpd
configtest" warned me of VirtualHost configurations that were
conflicting and therefore creating "unpredictable results" (actually using some
other wording I can not remember right now), but
this server does not have that. "service httpd configtest" comes back with a
plain "Syntax OK".

Thanks,

MARK