On 9/19/07, Bj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Stop logging !
> of maybe filter what you're logging (static ressources,...)
>
> For exemple, this will prevent logging ressource
> calls begining with /javascript/ urls :
> LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
> combined
> SetEnvIf Request_URI "^/javascript/.*$" jscript
> CustomLog logs/access_log combined env=!jscript
>
> You can try memory caching, if somes sites are more requested than
> others, it might help. Or cache only some urls.

Memory caching isn't likely to help, since it will just deprive the OS
of buffer-cache resources that it could be using to help with IO
performance. In fact, anything you can do to reduce memory consumption
will likely help to some degree with the IO problems.

Cutting down on the logging could help. Enabling BufferedLogs might help too.

There are also various suggestions detailed here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/misc/perf-tuning.html

Plus there are various OS-specific ticks, like mounting your
filesystem with noatime specified. We know nothing about your OS, so
we can't help much here.

But these are really only going to help at the margin. If you are
simply working with a very busy server that has a working-set of files
too big to fit in the buffer caches, then nothing is going to help
other than providing better disk performance. You can do this by
spreading the load among multiple disks, either in the same server, or
in multiple load-balanced servers.

Joshua.