> Hello,
>
> AuthName directive: "This directive sets the name of the
> authorization realm for a directory. This realm is given to the
> client so that the user knows which username and password to send."
>
> I know how AuthName works in practise, but can someone please
> explain what an "authorization realm" is? I take it it is not the
> same as a directory?

Check RFC 2617.

The realm is the area on the server that is accessible under a given
set of credentials. In practice, it is usually a specific directory
and its subdirectories. But the same realm name may be used for
multiple independent directories, and the browser should supply the
appropriate username/password without reprompting the user if it knows
them for that realm. For security reasons (to prevent stealing
passwords), a realm cannot span multiple hostnames.

Joshua.