On 23.10.07 12:56, Joshua Slive wrote:
> The realm is the area on the server that is accessible under a given
> set of credentials. In practice, it is usually a specific directory
> and its subdirectories. But the same realm name may be used for
> multiple independent directories, and the browser should supply the
> appropriate username/password without reprompting the user if it knows
> them for that realm. For security reasons (to prevent stealing
> passwords), a realm cannot span multiple hostnames.

Note that when you use different access rights (in subdirectories or
different paths), you must use different realms. Otherwise, the browser
(and the user) may get confused that once it can get to the area, once not.

OTOH, when usine the same privileges in more directories within the same
server, you may use the same realms.

So, when you have webserver with some public (unprotected) data, more
(protected) applications, each in the different subdirectory, and admin area
under each of them, where all applications have the same userlist (e.g.
valid_user with the same user database) and each admin area the same
list/group of admins, You can use one realm for applications and one realm
for admin areas.

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; http://www.fantomas.sk/