Hello,

Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The password formats are described in detail here:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/misc/password_encryptions.html

Thanks, that explains a lot. But why are Crypt and MD5 hashes
salted, and SHA is not?

Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> crytp was the long-time standard, and therefore used by
> default on all unix platforms to allow backward compatibility.

Crypt seems like a bad choice since it only uses the first 8
characters of the password. I'd prefer not to use it. I won't have
any problems if I use MD5 or SHA on a modern GNU/Debian or Ubuntu
server, will I?

I know SHA-1 is more secure than MD5, but is the unsalted SHA
password considered more secure than the salted MD5? I want to use
the most secure option, and I don't care about backward
compatibility.

Is this correct: If AuthType is set to Basic, then the password is
sent in plain text, and no support for Crypt/MD5/SHA in the browser
is needed, it's only needed on the server?

Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why anonymous? Are you up to no good?

It's just a habbit, I try not to leave personal information all
over the net. Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful.

-Anonymous