I'm not sure that you really need an alternative. using the setup you have now should work fine, with authoritative off, and using valid-user. I have that same exact setup running on our corporate intranet, and it's been working fine.

Also, I do not know of an alternative for having the paassword in clear text in the file. What I did was create a new AD user (apache_validate or something along those lines) that is used only for this purpose. The user has almost no access rights, except that they can login and query ad. This is what I would recommend, as well as running apache under a seperate user account if you're not doing this already.

Melanie Pfefer wrote:
ldap-user is not viable...I will have to add all users
by hand... Any other alternative?

also, AuthLDAPBindPassword is written in clear text in
the file...Any other alternative?

Many thanks!

--- Tom Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

authzldapauthoritative sets it such that ldap is the
only authentication that can be used. However valid-user is not seen as an ldap authentication (try ldap-user, etc.), so it needs to be able to fall back on "basic authentication" even though it is using the ldap setup to validate.

Basically it's ldap, but apache thinks it's basic. I
think that's what happens anyway.

Melanie Pfefer wrote:
I tried AuthZLDAPAuthoritative off and indeed it
worked...now...what is the impact of disabling
AuthZLDAPAuthoritative??

thanks bunches...
--- Eric Covener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 10/26/07, Stusynski, Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>