On 10/30/07, Boyle Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]

Splitting a stream is useful.  Older people remember when forms were
sent in triplicate.  Then office workers made a copy of every paper to
cross their desks.  Now smart people keep a copy of every file passed
to others.

Splitting a stream is not unusual.  Unix has the "tee" command.
Apache Cocoon has the TeeTransformer.  Apache httpd copies part of
each request into the log before fulfilling the request.

Splitting a stream is easy:
while(b = in.read()){  out1.write(b); out2.write(b); }

Discarding the output from the test server is difficult, but not
impossible.  When configuring the server for the above code:
   Connection1 = client<-->splitter
   Connection2 = splitter<-->production server
   Connection3 = splitter<-->test server
The splitter should compare responses from the production and test
servers and log the differences.

I am uncertain this functionality should be added to Apache httpd.  I
recommend writing a simple fast dedicated server to handle splitting,
logging, and comparing.  That server could be added and removed from
the production stream without affecting the other servers beyond an IP
address configuration change.

solprovider