On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 10:32:11 -0500
"Ryan Barnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Greetings everyone,
>
> I am leading the CIS Apache Benchmark Project
> (http://www.cisecurity.org/bench_apache.html) and we are in the final
> stages of an updated revision.  We are seeking feedback from Apache
> users to get a consensus on the new recommended settings.  If you
> would be willing to participate by reviewing the document and
> providing feedback, please let me know and I will send you a DRAFT
> copy.

Why not a URL where we can view it?

Speaking from memory, and my recollection of your book, I don't
think the benchmark is particularly helpful.  One of apache's
chief virtues is the ability to serve a wide range of different
needs through different modules and configuration, so a one-size-
fits-all recipe is never going to be applicable to more than a
tiny subset of all situations.

For example, I seem to recollect you recommending disabling
mod_negotiation.  I consider that profoundly unhelpful,
not least because of the number of times people re-invent
its functionality (badly) using mod_rewrite.

Techie: We need to set it up like this.
PHB:    But the benchmark (or diagnostic tool evaluating the
        benchmark) says that's insecure!

tends to lead to homebrew hacks, and serious insecurities.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/