*sigh*  False alarm.  I attached strace to the httpd processes and saw
that some bit of code gives up immediately when it trips over a broken
symlink in the directory that holds SSL root certificates.
Regenerating the links (via update-ca-certificates -- this is on
Gentoo Linux) cured that problem, and things are working again.

Now I need to track down just which layer of software (OpenLDAP?
OpenSSL? HTTPD?) is failing to report why it gave up.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he