Thanks. I took a look at the Wiki links you provided, and I think I'll
try using Redirect instead. Any hints as to how I would use Redirect
in this situation?

Another question: is the RewriteEngine directive site-wide or per
directory? Also, if I say RewriteEngine On in a directory that I also
say AllowOverride All, do I have to say RewriteEngine On again in the
.htaccess file?

Thanks again for the help! -- BTR