My fault. I guess that what is happening is that the browser is being
redirected and the Location header is not rewritten because I omitted the
ProxyPassReverse directives.

Try adding:

ProxyPassReverse /otherapp/ http://127.0.0.1:3001/
ProxyPassReverse / http://127.0.0.1:3000/

There is another problem due to you removal of the %{REQUEST_URI} for
/otherapp. You do not want to strip off the whole URI while proxying. You
probably only want to strip off /otherapp. So now try this configuration:

  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteLogLevel 9

  # You should not need this if you use mod_dir
  RewriteRule ^/$ /index.html [R]

  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/otherapp(.*)
  RewriteRule . http://127.0.0.1:3001%1 [L,P]

  RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
  RewriteRule . http://127.0.0.1:3000%{REQUEST_URI} [L,P]

  # I here assume that ProxyPreserveHost is Off
  ProxyPassReverse /otherapp/ http://127.0.0.1:3001/
  ProxyPassReverse / http://127.0.0.1:3000/

-ascs