On Jan 6, 2008, at 9:07 PM, Robinson Craig wrote:

http://www.nrw.qld.gov.au/vegetation/index.html/templates/headline_temp .
php

I get the weirdest thing....I actually get a response as if what I was
really requesting was:

http://www.nrw.qld.gov.au/vegetation/index.html

In the htdocs directory structure, /vegetation/index.html is a file not
a dir, and there definitely isn't a
/vegetation/index.html/templates/headline_temp.php file.

What you'll find is that the remaining part of the URL ('/templates/ headline_temp.php') is passed to the request as pathinfo. A static file (like index.html) can typically not do a whole lot with that information, but a program like a CGI or PHP script can... try making test-cgi in your cgi-bin directory executable and calling http://yourserver/cgi-bin/test-cgi/foo/bar . You'll see the CGI get executed, and an environment variable PATH_INFO is passed in with the /foo/bar bit.

I guess the canonical question is: what is your intention when you request the original URL?

S.

--
Sander Temme
[EMAIL PROTECTED]