On Jan 7, 2008 12:23 AM, Sander Temme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2008, at 9:07 PM, Robinson Craig wrote:
>
> > http://www.nrw.qld.gov.au/vegetation/index.html/templates/headline_temp
> > .
> > php
> >
> > I get the weirdest thing....I actually get a response as if what I was
> > really requesting was:
> >
> > http://www.nrw.qld.gov.au/vegetation/index.html
> >
> > In the htdocs directory structure, /vegetation/index.html is a file
> > not
> > a dir, and there definitely isn't a
> > /vegetation/index.html/templates/headline_temp.php file.
>
> What you'll find is that the remaining part of the URL ('/templates/
> headline_temp.php') is passed to the request as pathinfo.  A static
> file (like index.html) can typically not do a whole lot with that
> information, but a program like a CGI or PHP script can... try making
> test-cgi in your cgi-bin directory executable and calling
> http://yourserver/cgi-bin/test-cgi/foo/bar
> .  You'll see the CGI get executed, and an environment variable
> PATH_INFO is passed in with the /foo/bar bit.
>
> I guess the canonical question is: what is your intention when you
> request the original URL?

Two further points of interest: This only happens if the target file
is capable of doing something with the PATH_INFO, so you likely have
index.html getting processed by php or ssi. Turning that off would
result in a 404 to the browser.

Also, if you were using a more modern version of Apache, you would
have the AcceptPathInfo directive available to modify this behavior.

Joshua.