On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 13:19 -0500, Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2008 1:13 PM, Brian A. Seklecki
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > All:
> >
> > I see a lot of examples of <FilesMatch> with end-of-line char ($)
> > matching.
> >
> > Isn't that redundant / implied?  A <FileMatch> directive is just a regex
> > that automatically has ".*" pre-pended and "$" appended? (But only used
> > if evaluating a file, and not a directory)

Thanks Josh -- I've been pouring over:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/sections.html

...And I can't believe that 8-9 years after I started using Apache, this
is still the limitation of the documentation on container processing
log.

There are a lot of concepts left completely unexplained by this document
-- such as

1)  the precedence interaction between <F> and <D> ...

2) Does a "deny from any" directive of a a parent <D> prevent
evaluation / processing of subordinate member file F matched by
directive <F>?

3) What are the implied recursive rules for <Directory> and
   <DirectoryMatch> statements.
    - Obviously here, wildcard and regex's lacking "..$" in <D> are
      handled even differently yet.

4) It says that regex's are merged but it doesn't specify how
   configuration file parsing order defines precedence.

I would recommend enumerating the underlying evaluation routines as
sudo-code in the documentation.  E.g., :
  " First each directory is checked..."
  " Second each file is checked _regardless_ of whether the parent
    directory is denied ..."

Even if just more fundamental concepts were explained.

~BAS