On Jan 17, 2008 2:00 PM, Brian A. Seklecki
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 13:19 -0500, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > On Jan 17, 2008 1:13 PM, Brian A. Seklecki
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > All:
> > >
> > > I see a lot of examples of <FilesMatch> with end-of-line char ($)
> > > matching.
> > >
> > > Isn't that redundant / implied?  A <FileMatch> directive is just a regex
> > > that automatically has ".*" pre-pended and "$" appended? (But only used
> > > if evaluating a file, and not a directory)
>
> Thanks Josh -- I've been pouring over:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/sections.html
>
> ...And I can't believe that 8-9 years after I started using Apache, this
> is still the limitation of the documentation on container processing
> log.
>
> There are a lot of concepts left completely unexplained by this document
> -- such as

> I would recommend enumerating the underlying evaluation routines as
> sudo-code in the documentation.  E.g., :
>   " First each directory is checked..."
>   " Second each file is checked _regardless_ of whether the parent
>     directory is denied ..."
>
> Even if just more fundamental concepts were explained.

Go to it:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/

I doubt that there is any single person who even know every detail of
the merging rules, because it is not necessarily consistent across
modules. So you can start by doing some trial and error to figure
everything out, and then document it clearly.

Joshua.