On Jan 25, 2008 2:56 PM, Alain Roger wrote:
> how can i do to only and ALWAYS display http://www.myweb.com/ in the browser
> address bar ?
>  especially when i do not control the apache server configuration (because
> it is hosted somewhere else).
>
> could i use the .htaccess file to do that ?

I don't think this is possible using Apache. Apache is a web server;
hence it doesn't have any control over what the browser displays in
the address bar. To put it simply, to load a web page the browser
sends a request to the server (i.e. Apache) based on (a.o.) what it in
the address par. So the address bar is already 'filled in' before
Apache starts playing a role.

Two possible ways to achieve what you want:
1. use a frame. This was popular a few years ago, mostly to show
'nice' URLs, but has some disadvantages, one being that if users
bookmark a 'page', they actually bookmark the main page. Moreover, in
no way does this hide the actual URL to the user; it just doesn't
display it.
2. write a page that relies heavily on JavaScript/AJAX. Again, this
has the disadvantage of making bookmarking any page other than the
main page (almost) impossible.

GMail used to work like a combination of 1. and 2. (I'm not too sure
of the details), but they actually changed that not too long ago, so
that you can bookmark an email. Many people had asked them to do this.
Something you might want to keep this in mind when trying to hid the
actual URL from the address bar.

Both cases, however, go beyond the scope of this mailing list.

Martijn.

PS your message was sent three times within a short period of time.