The reason my setup wasn't working is that in order for httpd.conf to respond
to port xxxx requests it has to be listening on port xxxx. Thus I would have
needed to use the Listen 9080 command in order to respond to 9080 requests.

However, there is a second problem. Google is currently sending some people to
URL1:9080. I want to redirect requests from URL1:9080 to URL2:80. URL2 is
itself redirected to port 9080.

But that would be impossible. Since port 9080 is already in use and being
served up by a non-Apache server, Apache cannot listen on that port. Rather, I
need to move the non-Apache server to a new port other than 9080. Only then
could Apache listen on 9080 and reroute incoming requests the new port.