Hello,

I just joined this mailing list because I couldn't get an answer
elsewhere on this issue: is the "AddDefaultCharset" directive broken
in the recent apache httpd releases?

Here's the setup I've tried this on:

- Ubuntu 7.10 + apache httpd 2.2.4 installed from the repositories
- Ubuntu 7.10 + apache httpd 2.2.8 compiled from sources
- FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE + apache httpd 2.2.8 compiled from sources

The apache setup is simple: a directory with

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

which should give me a normal directory listing - in that directory
all the file names are in different languages: Romanian, Russian,
Ukrainian, Polish etc.

In order to get the listing displayed correctly I needed the UTF-8
encoding. Which worked. I followed the hints on the
"AddDefaultCharset" directive I found here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#adddefaultcharset

Let me give you a short description of each particular setup:

Ubuntu 7.10 + apache httpd 2.2.4 installed from the repositories:
======================================

Case 1:
----------

/etc/apapche2/apache2.conf contained:
Include /etc/apache2/conf.d/

and

cat /etc/apache2/conf.d/charset
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

Result: the "AddDefaultCharset" ignored no matter what I'd replace "UTF-8" with.

Case 2:
----------

/etc/apache2/apache2.conf contained:
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

Result: the same as in Case 1.

Ubuntu 7.10 + apache httpd 2.2.8 compiled from sources
==================================

/usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf contained:

=======================================

/usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf contained:
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

Result: the "AddDefaultCharset" ignored no matter what I'd replace "UTF-8" with.

The solution I've come up with in order to get the listings encoded
with UTF-8 was to include the line:

IndexOptions Charset=UTF-8

in all the above setups.

Now my question is: is indeed the "AddDefaultCharset" directive
broken/deprecated? Is this a known behavior?

I can't stop but mention that the "AddDefaultCharset" directive *does*
work as expected with apache-1.3.39_2 - the default package that gets
installed with pkg_add on FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE.

Thanks in advance,

Alex.