Hi, Eric:

Thank you very much for your response. I've set

    RewriteLogLevel 4
    RewriteLog "/var/log/www/rewrite.log"

and found that Apache did not check ProxyPass rules at all. If I added:

    RewriteRule ^/pics/(.*\.jpg)$    http://192.168.53.93/pics/$1   [P,L]

This worked as expected, but my questions are:
(1) can this hide the backend image server from outside? how can I check this??
(2) How can I make the ProxyPass work if I want to make some
fine-controls over the proxy..

Thanks again,
lihao