On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:36 AM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, Eric:
>
>  Thank you very much for your response. I've set
>
>     RewriteLogLevel 4
>     RewriteLog "/var/log/www/rewrite.log"
>
>  and found that Apache did not check ProxyPass rules at all. If I added:
>
>     RewriteRule ^/pics/(.*\.jpg)$    http://192.168.53.93/pics/$1   [P,L]
>
>  This worked as expected, but my questions are:
>  (1) can this hide the backend image server from outside? how can I check
> this??
>  (2) How can I make the ProxyPass work if I want to make some
>  fine-controls over the proxy..

In 2.0 you can't count on when proxypass and rewrite run relative to
eachother from system to system. In 2.2. and higher it's at least
explicitly coded (although I don't recall which comes first)

Don't mix proxypass and Rewrite-with-proxy for the same URL-space.

On systmes where by luck of the draw ProxyPass runs first, you might
see your rewriterules skipped.

--
Eric Covener
[EMAIL PROTECTED]