On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 2:43 PM, michel platini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> the problem is that apache set the header content-encoding to be chunked
> before send the response.
> this is a problem because the client is not http\1.1 compliant and doesn't
> work if there are no content-length header.
>
> infact using browser all works fine even though in the download window there
> are no information about content length.
>
> So I ask you if you know some workaround to unable the header
> content-encoding so the client can see content-length.

It's not the header itself that is the problem, it is the chunked encoding.

The first question I'd ask is why the chunked encoding is getting sent
in the first place. Apache should only send chunked if the client
states in the request-line that it is HTTP/1.1. Is the client lying
about what it supports?

Under the assumption that you have a broken client, you can use
BrowserMatch ClientUA downgrade-1.0
See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/env.html#special
You may also need nokeepalive, depending on the nature of the clients problems.

None of this will actually get you a Content-Length header. Apache
can't generate that in any reasonable way, because it doesn't know the
content-length before sending the response. If you want a
Content-Length, you'll need to get resin to calculate it and send it
out.

But even an HTTP/1.0 client should be able handle a non-chunked
response without content length. The server simply closes the
connection to indicate that all the content has been sent.

Joshua.