Would it by any chance be a browser problem?. Since a # is a reference to a part of the page, a browser should not send stuff after the # to the server. But I have no idea how a # in a query string should be handled. Are you sure that it is the server which is dropping stuff after the # and not the browser itself?

Phil Pinkerton wrote:
Need to convert "#" to "%23" when a # is in the URL path.

Example>
http://server.net/cgi-bin/application/app_1.pl?en=PROJECT_Name&pkn=20080526+-+Defect+#123456

This example shows in the http URL address just fine but beacuse of
the "#" is the first character in the defect sub-folder name the
actual page is not found because everything at the "#" is dropped.

How can I configure Apache to change the "#" in a path to its ascii
equivalent ( %23 ) ?

If I manually change it in the URL address line the page is displayed
just fine showing the folder content.

 Example2>
http://server.net/cgi-bin/application/app_1.pl?en=PROJECT_Name&pkn=20080526+-+Defect+%23123456

please advise