I think that's what I'm looking for, although it doesn't seem to work.

There are no errors, the authentication prompt just remains after apache is
restarted.

I am testing on a box using Basic auth, with the following file in
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled:

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    ServerName dev
    ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log
    LogLevel warn
    CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined
    ServerSignature On

    DocumentRoot /home/users/mmcdonald/drupal

    <Location /node/feed>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from any
        Satisfy any
    </Location>

    <Directory /home/users/mmcdonald/drupal/>
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "LDAP Authentication Required"
        AuthLDAPURL <removed>
        AuthLDAPBindDN <removed>