It's been a few years since I've done any extensive work with Apache and could use some help with a server that I've inherited.

The Apache server is configured with a <VirtualHost> that is used to support a single, web-based collaboration tool. The URL used to access the collaboration tool are in the following format.

        https://host.domain.com/anonymous/...
        https://host.domain.com/registered/...
        https://host.domain.com/resources/...

The strings--anonymous, registered, and resources--have an associated Alias that defines which <Location> container to be used to access a collaboration workspace. The anonymous string is only used for registering a new user as a member of a collaboration workspace.

Looking at the Apache access log, it's clear that Apache is processing a lot of requests from systems probing for vulnerabilities. Rather than have Apache process the request, I would like to immediately reject all requests with a 503, Service Unavailable, status.

Can this be done with a series of RewriteCond statements specifying each of the permitted strings followed by a RewriteRule that rejects the request and terminates processing? Is there a better way of accomplishing this?

Merton Campbell Crockett
[EMAIL PROTECTED]