Thanks Bill,

I looked again at configure (autoconf script?) and I saw additional make
install options so i did:

configure --prefix=/target/dir .....
make
make install exec_prefix=/build/dir prefix=/build/dir

It almost worked except for two subdirectories:

/target/dir
   include   <--  apr*h  apu*h and expat.h
   lib         <-- only libexpat* related .so

and conf/* had the the build path.

it does not look like that there is a simple option(s).  I think that more
effort than changing a main option for configure or add a 'sed' is not a
good thing to do.  We do not want to mess with a process that so many
brilliant people have worked out over the years :-)

Thanks again - Fred