Hello all,

I have a question regarding a specific scenario where I am using IP
based virtual hosting. The machine has two IP addresses (but may
eventually have more). Suppose those addresses are 192.168.1.80 and
192.168.1.81. If I have a configuration file like the following

Listen 8080

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.80:8080>
</VirtualHost>

no default VirtualHost, I noticed I can only access the server using
the 192.168.1.80 IP address. If I try to access it using the other
address, I get an error such as "invalid response" or anything like
that. That means the other interface (192.168.1.81) is also listening
to incoming connections, but due to my configuration it cannot respond
correctly.

So, my question is: how safe is it to let the other interface listen,
even if it will not respond correctly to any request? What is the
potential for security vulnerabilities in the 8080 port of the other
interface?

I know I could bind to the 192.168.1.80 address in the Listen
directive, but there is a particular reason in my setup for not doing
that.

Thank you in advance,

--
César L. B. Silveira