"César Leonardo Blum Silveira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

> So, my question is: how safe is it to let the other interface listen,
> even if it will not respond correctly to any request? What is the
> potential for security vulnerabilities in the 8080 port of the other
> interface?

There actual threat from doing this is very small if both IP addresses
are publicly accessible.  Connecting to an address with no site
configured for it will probably exercise a different code path than
connecting to an address with a site, but it's likely to be small and
not very risky.

However, if your Web server is not public, or you are doing any kind
of IP address-based access control (perhaps at a firewall), you would
want to be careful to ensure that the same access rules applied to
both of your IP addresses.  Any public Web server represents some
risk, and if that alternate IP address bypasses your access control
and makes your otherwise private Web server public, it could be a bit
risky.

Bottom line: It's probably very slighly safer to avoid listening on
that IP address at all, but only very slightly.

Hope this helps,

----Scott.